17:39 (GMT +7) - Monday 24/10/2016

Vietnam Today

History museum still on drawing board

Released at: 14:41, 17/08/2015

History museum still on drawing board

PM says preparations must continue for construction of National Museum of History to begin in 2021.

by Hoai An- Bao Anh

Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung held a meeting last week at the headquarters of the government regarding the construction of the National Museum of History.

“Investment in the construction of the museum is necessary and has been Party and government policy for many years,” he told the meeting.

After hearing all opinions and comments from those in attendance he spoke highly of the efforts of the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism and the Ministry of Construction regarding preparations for investment projects.

He requested the two ministries and related departments continue to focus on preparations for this project so that construction may begin in 2021.

The project is expected to be built in a new urban area in West Lake, Hanoi, on an area of over 10 ha. Total investment is estimated at some VND11.2 trillion ($525.8 million), with a main building on an area of 20,400 square meters, a memorial area for celebrities, an outdoor exhibition area on history, culture and architecture, a technical support area, and a green space with trees and landscapes.

Although the project was approved in 2011 and had a construction plan from November 2012 to July 2016, it has not yet begun due to difficulties in arranging capital.

The project has gained a lot of attention from the public, with many expressing disagreement over its high cost and the fact that a number of other museums have been built in recent years but are not operating effectively.

User comment (0)

Send comment