13:02 (GMT +7) - Thursday 08/12/2016

Vietnam Today

New southern railway to be built

Released at: 16:08, 01/03/2015

New southern railway to be built

128.2 km railway to pass through Binh Duong and Binh Phuoc provinces, linking HCMC with the Cambodian border.

by Son Ho

The 128.2 km railway project from Di An Station (Binh Duong province) to the Hoa Lu Border Gate (Cambodia) will be built with estimated capital of around VND20 trillion ($889.77 million).

There are four options regarding total investment and sourcing.

The first is total investment of VND20.684 trillion ($968 million), with ODA and reciprocal capital accounting for 85 per cent and 15 per cent, respectively. The second is for total investment of VND20.863 trillion ($977 million), of which 70 per cent will be an ODA grant and the remaining 30 per cent will be concessional loans from the ODA provider. The third is for VND 20.939 trillion ($980 million) in capital, provided evenly between ODA grants and concessional loans. The final choice is using 100 per cent State capital, with total investment of VND19.039 trillion ($891million).

The line will have a total length of 128.2 km and 17 stations, passing through the provinces of Binh Duong and Binh Phuoc, according to the proposal from the Railway Management Board at the Ministry of Transport. The project is expected to commence in 2016 and be completed in 2020.

There are two main construction items in the project. First is the construction of 61.4 km of double track from Di An Station to Chon Thanh Station in Binh Phuoc province. The second is a 66.8 km single track from Chon Thanh Station to the border. The cruising speed of the trains on the line will be about 120km/h; much higher than on other lines.

The new line serves passengers and low-cost goods transport from Ho Chi Minh City to many satellite towns in the Southeast region. It will also be part of the Trans-Asia railway, which connects ASEAN with China and then Europe via Siberia.

  • TAGS
  • Southern
  • railway

User comment (0)

Send comment